Not to be competitive or anything. Because I'm not. At all. Ever.
okay. I am.
You can thank mi padre for that one.
It's Father's Day. And because UVU sucks at planning I am just three days short of being able to spend the Day for Daddies with that such person.
I just want to prove to you all how wonderful my father, David Donald Ainge truly is. And since I'm a poor college student and didn't get him one thing...this is yet again my present to him.
1. He is INCREDIBLE with children. He sort of looks like a scary man, and sure, he yells a lot. Despite his intensity, every single child I know, absolutely loves him. He is so good with them. He adores his grandchildren and they adore him even moreso.
2. His compassion and empathy and kindness for others is incomparable. He has been through some awful things in life. And despite those trials, he has learned and grown from each of them. He understands. I can always tell him how I feel. He never judges. He is kind to EVERYONE. He truly cares about others--and people can feel that from him.
3. His love for words. I have a letter hanging up right next to my laptop that he wrote me before I left for college. I read it almost every day. And I cry about half of the time I read it. He is so gifted with words. He has passed that love of words and writing to me as well. He is very well spoken and knows how to word things perfectly. He's an incredible public speaker. I admire His communication skills and the strength and ability and confidence to write and speak what he feels. He gives the best advice. And believe me, he is FULL of advice to give to me. I truly do appreciate his thoughts and I respect his advice in everything.
4. I think my dad is African.
Where did my fair skin come from? My life is average.
5. His loyalty. He makes a lot of effort with people--especially his family. He would do anything for the people he loves. There was an instant, quite literally, where he left in the middle of the night and drove across 3 states to be there for me in one of the hardest moments of my life.
6. His sense of humor. He will sit there and watch a television show by himself and laugh so loud that I can hear him upstairs. I remember when I was a little girl that he would keep me up from laughing and talking so loud downstairs. His laugh and humor is infectious.
7. His love for sports&movies&the beach&Disneyland&music. We have so much in common. Him and I share the love of numerous similar aspects. Some of my fondest memories are watching basketball games with him and just watching HIM yell--not even the game. You think I'M intense? You ain't seen nothin yet. He coached most of my sporting events growing up. I don't think I would have succeeded without his push. He is SO wise when it comes to sports and he always helped push me to my greatest ability. His love for music too. I'd cuddle with him as a little girl while he'd sing to me. It helped me fall asleep instantly. We both love the beach so much. Often times I have found that we will both sit there in silence for long period of times and enjoy the sound of the ocean.
8. This is Simba. He's my dad's 6th child. You think I'm spoiled?
(P.S. anybody who's anybody knows about Simba. )
9. He has very high standards for me, for himself, for his family. He has been given so many talents with athletics, leadership, kindness and he makes sure he uses them. He also expects me to succeed in this world. He wants me to be happy and he pushes me in the gospel, in life, in school, to be the best person I am able to be. He motivates me. He is such a great example in the gospel, especially. He travels a lot and amidst the traveling, he always makes the gospel a priority.
10. He's such a worry wart. Actually, wait...I HATE this. I don't know if it's just his age (you're just gettin old, Dad ;)) or that I'm the baby--he worries sooo much. But at the end of the day, this means so much to me. It means he truly cares. I have never doubted that my daddy loves me. he is not perfect. At all. But I am grateful for his example and undying love for me.
I love you, Dad. You are such an amazing person. I am so grateful to have you as my father. Happy Fathers Day 2010.
Your baby and "cuddle bear",